When compliance and business development work in tandem, everyone wins.
Strategic leadership means leading for today, tomorrow, and beyond. It manifests through helping shape a continually evolving organizational paradigm while operating effectively in the current environment. Leading the long view takes place by engaging team members in creating co-ownership of the future-state vision and strategy that brings the vision to life. Vision is distilled into actionable priorities, which become the day-to-day operating plan guiding all team members in performing their work.
- Recognize that defining, designing and delivering strategy is a team sport. The environment – within and outside your organization – is dynamic, and your team is the source of rich, diverse observation and interpretation of what the changes mean. Capture their input for distillation into strategy adjustments designed to fulfill your future state vision.
- Acknowledge that it’s daily actions that matter, not the strategy document. Future state vision informs organizational priorities. Priorities define activities. Strategies are bundles of activities. The aggregation of activities create operating results. Having a great plan that doesn’t translate into what team members do in their work every day is a waste of the paper it’s printed on. A CEO I worked with said “if a competitor got a copy of our strategic plan, it wouldn’t matter because they wouldn’t be able to execute the activities the way we do”.
- Align expectations – yours and your team members – in the dynamic nature of your operating environment. When expectations differ from reality, people are frustrated or disappointed. If your team expects status quo, it will be harder for them to adjust to varying rates of change. Spinning in space at 1,000 miles an hour is an overwhelming concept if you were expecting something different.
- Adjust activities to fit the current environment. Adjustment is easier for some organizations than others. If adjustment is difficult for your business, 2021 is the time to build up your adaptability competency.
- Own the Tone – Leaders are vision stewards. Set the tone by giving voice to the vision. Holding vision as the destination, without attachment to the path, is essential to sustaining balance between where your organization is today, where you’re going and how you get there.
Get In touch
Whether you have specific questions or are just curious about our services, we want to connect with you.